Thomas Earp who departed this life into the next, former Town Mayor and Newark MP, Died 17th February 1910 Buried in Newark Cemetery Plot number WP43

Union Jack lhUnion Jack lhUnion Jack lhUnion Jack lhUnion Jack lhUnion Jack lhUnion Jack lh

Newark Cemetery, London Road, Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire NG24 1SQ

Our beautiful and historic Newark Cemetery, London Road, Newark, Nottinghamshire open all year round Summer 8am-8pm, Winter 8am-6pm for over 150 years since 1856.

Amongst the many well-known local people that are buried in Newark Cemetery include  among the many graves are Memorials to some of Newark’s greatest benefactors and people who have helped shape Newark

Cemetery Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire A Good Place To Visit Since 1856

This is a privately owned and maintained, not-for-profit, website which is supported privately, the content here is solely the responsibility of Laurence Goff. As a fitting tribute to the people who resting place is at Newark cemetery. The views expressed our solely my own and do not reflect  Newark Town Council. 

 Laurence Goff

NEWARK CEMETERY NOTTINGHAMSHIRE ENGLAND UK SINCE

1856

Memorial In Memory To Our Heroes .

They departed this life into the next. Though they are hidden in the shadow of Death.

Their lives for others in the love of serving Newark-On-Trent that never dies.

Newark Cemetery, London Road, Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire NG24 1SQ

Our beautiful and historic Newark Cemetery, London Road, Newark, Nottinghamshire 

Open all year round Summer 8am-8pm – Winter 8am-6pm 

Not Enough Credit Is Given So I Have Put Together This Website page


Let Remember Thomas Earp Who Died Over a 100 Years Ago.


Thomas Earp Former Town Mayor and Newark MP

Died 100 years ago 17th February 1910

Buried amongst his Friends in Newark Cemetery Plot Number WP43

Thomas Earp 1830-1910 who departed this life into the next, former Town Mayor and Newark MP, Died Over A 100 years ago 17th February 1910

Thomas Earp  came to Newark on 1st February 1845 at a young age of  29  arrived here from Derby after his adoption as a Parliamentary candidate. A  Liberal Member of Parliament Constituency

{Newark}

January 31st, 1874

until November 24th, 1885.

Newark town Mayor three times from 1869, 1891 and 1892.

His former house still standing a grade ll listed building

The White House

84 Mill Gate, Newark, Nottinghamshire Mr Bernard Martin, Chartered Architect, wrote of this once lovely house. The main part of the building probably dates from the mid-18th century, but who first occupied this substantial mansion on the banks of the Trent remains a mystery. It is mentioned in the 1772 Trent Navigation Act and in the early 19th century the house was offered for sale or rent. It was a dwelling ideal for a family with social aspirations. It brought with it a walled garden stretching down to the river trent and stocked with fruit trees, as well as two acres of pasture land, and area which included the present Millgate Field. Whether the elaborate Georgian-style internal fittings date from this period, or were part of a later restoration, is unknown. The house was considered ideal for a ‘private gentleman’, or a someone engaged in a ‘mercantile trade’. Indeed, the subsequent owner of the house was a trader, a man called John Clarke, farmer, coal merchant and wharfinger, occupied the house in the first half of the 19th century. His wife, Mary Ann Clarke, was still living in the house as a widow in 1861, described as ‘landed proprietor’. The next occupier was Thomas Earp, a maltster and partner in the Trent Brewery, established on Millgate in about 1850 (the Cooper’s Yard housing development now stands on the site). Earp was politically successful , had a strong interest in politics and was an alderman, mayor  of Newark three times 1869-1891-and-1892 and Liberal MP for Newark from 31st January 1874 until 24th November 1884.

He was also Chairman of the Governors of Magnus School, and gave his name to Earp Avenue, on which the present school stands. The next owner was Enos Smith, who lived there from c 1920 until the Second World War. He kept an impressive household, a steamboat and even a vineyard in France, with which he stocked his wine cellars. He used to open his garden to the local boy scouts for their jamboree, and his wife raised funds for the needy of the neighbourhood. After the war the house was occupied by several families as a result of the shortage of money to support large households. In 1950 SPD Food Distribution Ltd occupied the house, and later, in 1961, British Waterways and Trent Hire Cruisers were based there. In 1998, the building was still owned by British Waterways. (Information taken from ‘The White House, Millgate, Newark: Brief History, by Bernard Martin)

The White House 84 Mill Gate, Newark

His former house still standing


Thomas Earp picture is held in the council chambers at Newark Town Hall

Newark Town Council

Newark Town Hall was designed in Palladian style in 1776 by the architect John Carr of York. Rooms within form part of the museum including civic treasures in the Mayor’s Parlour, a fine art gallery and elegant 18th-century Assembly Room. Newark Town Council has a fine collection of oil paintings reflecting the civic side of the Town appropriately displayed in the Town Hall’s Council Chamber.

Thomas Earp (1830–1910), Mayor of Newark

by Harold Knight

Knight’s portrait of Thomas Earp (1830–1910) is significant. Earp, Mayor three times and Liberal MP, was acquainted with Gladstone, MP for Newark for 14 years.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1920&bih=967&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=thomas+earp+newark+uk&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Died 17th February 1910

RIP

Thomas Magnus, with typical Tudor confidence, founded the free school he gave to Newark on the ideas relevant to his time. He did not have the doubts that became common later when education was given importance, not so much as a blessing for the individual, but a way of moulding society into a work force, or a means of class distinction.

By the time Thomas Earp was born in 1830 the Industrial Revolution required labourers who had received some education and funds were

made available nationally for school building, although most children left school before they were eleven years old. Ability to read was the main object of elementary education, but some taxpayers feared this

might give them access to seditious pamphlets or publications against Christianity. Many argued that further or secondary education could be dangerous for the poor, teaching them to despise laborious occupations. Even such subjects

as writing and arithmetic were questioned.

Fortunate towns like Newark that already had a free Grammar School faced difficulties because the church based education provided was

too narrow for new requirements. Enlightened headmasters and governors realised the need for change, but funding obtained from endowments was falling because of the decline in agriculture. As

the population and industry grew, so did the need for such subjects as geography, history, science, mathematics, modern languages, drawing, and book-keeping, while

newark civic trust I 13still retaining Latin. How to accommodate them in the dated buildings they had, find qualified teachers or the money to pay them and boys willing and able to absorb such a curriculum was a problem facing the school and its Governors.

The suggestion that fees could be charged, if only for certain subjects, was not favoured by many. Education faced a local and a national upheaval, but a solution had to be found.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man. When Thomas Earp came to Newark to start work at Harvey’s Wine and Spirit Merchants and maltsters

in 1845, the railway system was opening up trade right across the country. In the very next year, the first Newark line from Nottingham to Lincoln brought great opportunities for the brewing trade and also to the sixteen year old Thomas Earp. He became a partner in Harvey’s, then of Richardson Earp and Slater and finally established Gilstrap and Earp.

At his adoption as Liberal candidate in 1873 the Newark Herald commented on his outstanding speaking ability, noting “the relationship between Mr Earp and the working classes from whom he is removed by only one generation.” The time when Employers and Labourers were fixed not only for a lifetime but for generations into the sphere in which they had been born was coming to an end.

In 1870 a national system of schools was established so that every child had the opportunity of education and in 1891 education became compulsory. Great reforms were taking place when Thomas Earp entered Parliament in 1874 and

he was well aware that coming generations needed to be educated to meet the changes. Town dwelling working class people were given the vote in 1887 and farm labourers

were enfranchised in 1884. If employers and workers remained ignorant of each other’s contribution to society, dissension would threaten the prosperity promised by better transport and increased trade.

Despite the efforts made by Thomas Magnus to safeguard his bequest to the school, at various times in its history money had been taken for the use of the Parish Church and the town. In addition, efforts by

the Government to give a modern education to the whole population did not conform to the old ideas of a traditional schooling providing a ruling class through the universities, and schools like Magnus had been founded for just that purpose. At

a time when more money was needed to extend the curriculum and the buildings, less was available and a growing town needed sanitation and lighting, therefore the endowment funds were occasionally misappropriated. Thomas Earp was aware of this and also that despite the efforts of various headmasters to maintain standards at the school some boys were not receiving the best preparation for their future. Valuable potential for them and for the town was lost because the emphasis was still on the learned professions and those with more practical abilities were regarded as a lesser breed.

Some additions to the building were made in 1818, partly funded by the headmaster Mr Wittenoom who intended to use some of the accommodation for boarders. The fees they paid would go not to the school but to Mr Wittenoom. In 1820, there were ninety two boarders, those under twelve paying £34 a year and those over that age £40. They paid an extra 5guineas a year to be taught subjects in which they were really interested. The Foundation or free scholars received only a classical education. This was of little use to boys who would earn their living mainly by manual labour, yet they

were the very ones who could not afford the fees for extra subjects.

A science laboratory was helped into existence by the County Council in 1818 and in 1834 the Magnus Trustees built the English School, partly to conform to the new Government demands for the modernisation of education. For some reason, although free, the English School was not popular with the Newark tradesmen who preferred to send their sons to another school in the town called “The Classical

and Commercial Academy” situated in Castlegate and charging fees of twenty four to twenty eight guineas a year for boarders, with day boys paying four guineas a year. It appears to have been very successful, at times having over a hundred pupils.

Meanwhile the Magnus, under the headmastership of Mr Wittenoom was suffering from falling numbers. After he left in 1829, Joseph Cooke was there until 1854 and was followed by Henry Plater who stated his belief as a schoolmaster that “scholastic work (as I interpret it) is in its measure spiritual work combined with sound mental training, and I believe, and have always taught, that all education, worthy of the name, must be based on, and in accord with, the doctrines and teaching of the Holy Catholic Church.” There was some anxiety in the town that Mr Plater had Roman Catholic leanings and would influence the school in this way. He certainly was a High Churchman when such an attitude was unpopular, but because of his great sense of duty Magnus began again to prosper as a school. In 1877 he offered a re-organisation scheme which gained some approval from Thomas Earp who was chairman of the committee formed to modernise the school, working with the Endowed Schools Commission and the people of Newark, together with the Trustees of the Endowment. However Mr Plater

was firmly in favour of a First Grade School, something akin to Rugby, catering for boarders from outside the area, while Mr Earp wanted the school to modernise the curriculum and provide businessmen who would add to the prosperity of the town. In order to achieve his aims, Councillor Earp brought in fellow Liberals who gradually displaced Councillors and Trustees who supported Mr Plater’s ideals.

The number of boys in the school had risen to 126, seventy five of whom were boarders. Mr Plater had bought property in Appletongate for a chemistry laboratory and workshops equipped with lathes, proof that he was prepared to modify his attitude to classical education, but the charity Commissioners in 1887 found that good though his Scheme was, the available finance was insufficient. Parents lost confidence in a school

in spite of all Mr Plater’s efforts, and when he retired in 1893 the Governing body took a look at the school premises, compared them with the new board School that had been built in Lovers Lane, and advertised for a new headmaster.

The whole premises were then spring-cleaned, seating forms replaced with individual desks and separate lockers, lobbies with pegs for the boys to hang their coats and hats. Dormitories for at least thirty boarders had been refurbished.

The new Headmaster, Mr Noakes, by the end of his first year had done much to bring the school into the life of the town. He wished that the school should be mainly for the benefit of Newark and the district. Consequently a first public prize- giving was held in the Town Hall and the roll had risen to seventy eight boys.

In June 1895 the headmaster was requesting a gymnasium, a library and a more adequate playground

as well as a playing field reasonably close to the school.

The first Founder’s day was held with Holy Communion at 8.00am and another service at 10.00amwith a sermon preached by an Old Magnusian the Rev. F W Greenwood from Liverpool. This was followed by a cricket match at 11.30, lunch at half past one with many long speeches and then tea at five-o-‘clock.

Improvements to the Old Magnus premises continued to be made and academic progress was very satisfactory between 1895 and 1902, but the Inspectors of the Board of Education condemned the old school in 1897 and directed that proper buildings should be provided as soon as may be.

Since 1887 the income from the endowment had been insufficient and it had been impossible to save towards a new building, and if they broke into the capital it may prove impossible to maintain it, even with increased fees. Mr Earp, vice- chairman of the Governors, found and bought a site of six acres just off London Road which he presented to the school. His generosity prompted the Governors to launch an appeal in the neighbourhood and among old boys for between £3,000 and £3,500. Gifts came from other sources and Councillor Earp gave a further four acres of land.

Dr Noakes, who had made such an impressive start as Headmaster announced his resignation. This was unfortunate because his popularity had greatly helped the school and now it was felt the impetus of the Appeal would be lost, especially as Dr Noakes publicly regretted that so much money had already been spent on the old building and that a new one might prove an expensive mistake.

Councillor Earp however was determined to see a new school provided. As financial problems increased and progress almost ceased, he gave £2,000 and offered a loan of £3000. This failed to arouse interest and so he gave £5,000 outright.

The response of the public was still insufficient to convince the Board of Education and the County Council that there would be capital to cover all the outlay including equipment and increased expenditure on

staff, especially as the Governors were contemplating selling £1,800 of Government Stock from the Endowment, so reducing income. There was serious concern that the new school might become insolvent and have to be closed down. Governors began to lose interest and failed to come to meetings. Councillor Earp felt that some bore lingering grudges because of his attitude to Mr Plater, who though as a headmaster had aroused much criticism, had represented the old order of things in Newark.

Consequently, Councillor Earp on learning that the Board of Education was contemplating providing a new school for only a hundred boys, threatened to withdraw everything he had given and promised. He went to see the President of the Board and obtained the sanction of a school

for 150 boys, whereupon Mr Earp paid £290 for the revised architect’s fees. In all he is believed to have contributed more than £10,000 to the new building, but much more is owed to him for his commitment to a project he believed to be vital for Newark, and which was accomplished on May 22nd 1909

Margaret Granger

newark civic trust

Buried in Newark Cemetery

Plot Number WP43.

His picture hangs in Newark town hall chamber. A former member of Parliament Constituency{Newark}

January 31st, 1874 – November 24th, 1885.

Newark town Mayor three times from 1869, 1891 & 1892. Newark-On-Trent was once  England’s most beautiful old market towns, and also a centre of industry, agriculture and commerce. Thomas Earp in October 1880 became a

co-partner with his Malting  business with Joseph Gilstrap son William. Thomas Earp remained active and his retirement in 1905. He  lived in his former  White House 84 Mill Gate, Newark. Martha Earp wife of Thomas Earp who departed this life into the next 22nd Nov 1888. Though they are hidden in the shadow of Death. They lives in the love that never dies.

 

Thomas Earp Grand old House at 84 Mill Gate, Newark

Thomas Earp Former Town Mayor and Newark MP, Died 100 years ago 17th February 1910 Buried amongst his Friends in Newark Cemetery

Why we need show are appreciation to Mr Thomas Earp. This grand gentleman of his time deserves a special mention he should be remember. 100 years ago next month a grand and highly respected gentleman died on this date 17th February 1910.

 

These should be Important to Newark-On-Trent history, I could not forget to comment on this grand old gentleman who lived to age 79 ambitious years. He lived and died in his lovely White House at 84 Mill Gate, Newark.

Is situated on the south western fringe of Newark-On-Trent river and the Farndon Road Marina. The property is situated within the Mill Gate Conservation Area dominated by Georgian and Victorian housing and wharf side developments.  Thomas Earp came to Newark from Derby on 1st February 1845 at the age of 29 when he was chosen as a Liberal candidate for Newark Constituency. On 31st January 1874 he was elected member of Parliament for Newark until 24th November 1885. Thomas Earp choose a large  home called White House at 84 Mill Gate, Newark which is grade ll listed building.   He live next door to another Friend  William Harold Cubley at 80-82 Mill Gate and Joseph Gilstap who lived at 109 Mill Gate, Newark in a large

house called Trent view. All three were Alderman and  former  Mayors he serve three times 1869, 1891 and 1892.  Mr Thomas Earp was involved  and a partner in Trent Brewery of Richard, Earp and Slater 1864 he relinquish his managerial role. 1880  joined Sir William Gilstrap  malting of  co-founder of Gilstrap & Earp Co., these was one of the largest in the UK he retired in 1905.   His Generous gift to Newark Benefactor and charitable patrons providing assistance in many forms to many good cause like education Magnus and  Grammar School of Art, Science and Art, London Road. It was part of 60th Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria which was open on Thursday afternoon, 25th October 1900.  Newark was like to have Alderman Thomas Earp generously contribution of £250 with many other good people 

also given a donation.   1902 After many years devoted service to Newark town money was raised by over 100 subscribers to hand  over a large portrait of Alderman Thomas Earp JP recognition for 40 years service. It was painted by  Mr Harold Knight, a presentation took place a seat down lunch took place in the ballroom which was the chamber at the time. It hangs in Newark Town Chamber With many other Alderman and former Mayors of Newark.   1874 Elected Member Parliament for Newark when his was in his 30’s  Elected borough councillor East Ward. Alderman high-ranking member borough council, chosen by an elected members themselves. ( these has be discontinued)  Justice of the Peace for town and county.  He died at noon in his lovely home at The White House 84 Mill Gate.

All his true friends came 

out in large numbers, Buried in Newark Cemetery,  Nottinghamshire, England.



Died at age 79, 17th February 1910

Buried amongst his true Friends in Newark Cemetery

Martha Earp wife of Thomas Earp who departed this life into the next 22nd Nov 1888. Though they are hidden in the shadow of Death. They live in love that never ends or dies together in life and now death.

Thomas Earp who departed this life into the next on 17th February 1910

I will be Strolling through our beautiful grounds from time to time with my camera, on one of my historical walks looking and locating people at  Newark Cemetery

This is a privately owned and maintained, not-for-profit, website which is supported privately. As such,  Accordingly, the content here is solely the responsibility of Laurence Goff, Newark, Nottinghamshire, England




About these ads

About newarkcemeteryuk

Newark Town Councillor Laurence Goff Re-elected for the 4th year as Chairman Friends of Newark Cemetery. It was set up in November 2005. This is a privately owned and maintained, not-for-profit, website which is supported privately, the content here is solely the responsibility of Laurence Goff. As a fitting tribute to the people who resting place is at Newark cemetery. The views expressed our solely my own and do not reflect Newark Town Council. Time to emphasized the heroism, bravery, valour and determination for our freedom. Lest We Forget, Britain honoured its war dead. Tribute to British Commonwealth and Polish Sacrifice. The dark days of the 2nd World War from the British Commonwealth that join up with the RAF that were killed and there resting place is Newark Cemetery 4 ARAF- Australian, 44 British Servicemen, 17 CRAF- Canadian, 3 RNZAF- New Zealand and 397 Polish Airmen and other servicemen. The highest concentration of commemorations can be particularly found in Newark-On-Trent, Nottinghamshire. Our local cemetery with nearly 400 Polish Airmen that died, and are buried in special plot on the east side. You can park for free at the Main Gate parking lot at Newark Cemetery, It is location on London Road. Newark Cemetery can boast of having lot’s of impressive benefactors since 1856. An array of names and servicemen going back to 1914 to the present day are buried in Newark-On-Trent. The cemetery also contains 49 scattered burials of the First World War. A memorial cross to the Polish airmen buried here was erected in the plot and was unveiled in 1941 by President Raczkiewicz, ex-President of the Polish Republic and head of the war time Polish Government in London, supported by General Sikorski, Commander-in-Chief of the Polish Forces and war time Polish Prime Minister. When both men subsequently died, General Sikorski in 1943 and President Raczkiewicz in 1947, they were buried at the foot of the Polish Memorial. General Sikorski’s remains were returned to Poland in 1993, but there is still a memorial to him at Newark. Newark Cemetery have 397 since 1947 and more use Newark as their rest place to the present day. Polish died are also commemorated in 244 different locations. Our lasting tribute, is a time to remember them for their heroism, bravery, valour and determination for freedom. Let’s remember them by paying our tribute to them and for their contribution during the 2nd World War. For more information Councillor Laurence Goff Chairman Friends of Newark Cemetery Newark Town Hall/Market Place Newark-on-Trent NG24 1DU 01636-681878 (home) 07794613879 friendsofnewarkcemetery@yahoo.co.uk Location of Newark Cemetery, London Road, Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire NG24 1SQ
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s